Located near the ruins of the ancient Nalanda University, this Hall is in memory of Chinese scholar and traveller Hiuen Tsang.
A memorial has been built and named after the Chinese traveler and scholar monk, Xuanzang, who was a student at Nalanda and subsequently became a teacher at the ancient Nalanda Mahavihara. The magnificent hall is located barely 1.3 km away from the ruins of Nalanda.
It was in January 1957 that India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, on behalf of the government of India, received the relics of Xuanzang along with his biography and an endowment for the construction of a hall in his memory from His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama of Tibet. The initiative was aimed at enhancing the cultural relationship between India and China. The construction work started in 1960 and was completed in 1984.