This humongous granary is famous for its winding stairways offering a beautiful view of the city and the Ganga flowing nearby.
Golghar, an enormous granary, was built by Captain John Garstin for British army in 1786, after the terrible impact of 1770 famine. The winding stairway around this monument offers a brilliant view of the city and the Ganga flowing nearby.
Built in the Stupa architecture, the building has a height of 29 m. It is pillar-less with a wall of thickness of 3.6 m at the base. One can climb at the top of the Golghar through the 145 steps of its spiral stairway around it. The spiral staircase was designed to facilitate the passage of the workers who loaded and unloaded the grain in the granary, who had to carry grain-bags up one flight, deliver their load through a hole at the top, and descend the other stairs.